Monday, May 18, 2009

Washed Clean

Today after church we had two people be baptized and one will be in my young women class. Leah got too hungry during the talk by the missionary so I left to go feed her on the balcony. She finished and I walked around the corner and over the ledge just in time to catch them taking the cover off the baptismal font. Levin and Roy (another American) were counting tithing money just inside the door. I ran in and said "do you guys know what the water looks like???" This is what we saw!



Thank goodness I'm already baptized and the church doesn't believe in baptizing until age 8 so we will be long gone from here before Leah reaches that age. I have seen the font with plenty of pine needles in it before, but this was a new level of welcome to Nigeria. On a positive note, our church which has not had running water since we arrived finally does, unfortunately this it. I continue to keep my distance from "the facilities" but maybe this is a step in the right direction.
I believe the orange waters of baptism still serve their spiritual purpose for Chineua and the boy whose name I didn't catch. And just in case you were wondering the white clothing still came out white.

2 comments:

  1. That is incredible! Was that minerals (like rust?) Or WORSE???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Clarification! I think it was iron in the water not the "worse" that Lena was asking about.

    ReplyDelete