Monday, November 16, 2009

Announcement Time

October was an exciting month for us, not just because we hardly spent any time in Lagos, but we also found out a lot about our future in just a 2 day time span. One day we found out I was pregnant and the very next night we found out we were headed to Moscow in 2011 after a year back in Washington DC. I thought this picture of this little baby was appropriate.

Let me tell you the humorous little story of pregnancy testing. We were in South Africa and thinking . . . could it be?? We slipped away from Levin's parents to go to a pharmacist. Levin had a tick bite incident that also needed attention. Anyway, while Levin is asking about antibiotics I am looking everywhere for a pregnancy test. We finally had to ask. I don't know why, but the pregnancy tests are all behind the counter. The woman shouts back to bring forward a pregnancy test and then proceeds to demonstrate for me how to "wee on the stick." How embarassing! We didn't have Leah with us so maybe she figured we were amateurs. Well, the results were inconclusive. Three times later we still weren't sure! Darn those South African tests! Our first day home with our "bought in America" test we were sure.
The next night we found out about Moscow. We are excited for many different reasons including a year back in Washington DC come next July. We just hope all our friends haven't left DC before we get there.
PS. The baby is due in June so I will be kissing West Africa goodbye sometime in April and Levin . . . . well that is still a mystery of when he comes and if/when he comes back to finish our assignment here, etc.

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new assignment and the pregnacy! I'm excited that you two will be making it back to DC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Lots of changes! Congratulations on your pregnancy. And wonderful that you get to be in DC and then to Russia. WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yay!! Congratulations! I'm so excited for you! :) I wish we were closer to Washington DC - I would love to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah congratulations! I wish I was rich and could plan a trip to DC to see you while you are living here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yipeeee! how exciting. you better be planning a trip to disneyland on your route to dc - email me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great great news!!! I was so excited to read this. Burke and I are HAPPY for you! Maybe we'll still be here next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, exciting! So much good all at once! I'm so happy for you! And I'm happy for America. We'll have you back for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melissa,

    I am so excited you are prego! Congrats! YOu know Calvin is a little hellian at night now that my parents came and he had to sleep in our room. But before that I made him cry through the night one night and after that he was almost perfect. So tonight he is going to have to get unspoiled again! Poor boy. Mom and DAd kept raving about Leah, I kept trying to convice them Calvin is better but they seem to have gained too strong a testimony of Leah's cuteness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, I don't know how the crap I missed this post (I blame it on school) but CONGRATS!!! And I was thinking the other day when you posted something about finding a place, "Hmmm...that's weird, I haven't read anything about her coming back to the States..." Glad I was blog browsing!

    How fun to have a new family member and new adventure overseas :D

    ReplyDelete