Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Turkey Harvest

This post is not for the faint of heart or weak in stomach. If you are an animal love you may want to skip this post. You've been warned.
The proud farmer and his friends Jeff and Chris.

The aftermath.
I had an awesome video of them catching a turkey, but it is too big for our slow internet connection so I can't upload it. So sad.

Joe, the one with the most experience, and Jared my nephew who is so strong and brave to hold down that turkey.

The huge pot where you dip the turkeys in hot water so they are easier to pluck. Also, in this picture, our beloved friends from Lagos, Jeff and Kelsey. We were so happy and so lucky that a business trip brought them through Washington DC of all places so they came and spent a day with us. Luckily for them, it was on turkey harvest weekend. They were actually excited which I guess shows we are meant to be friends.

Bagged up and ready to go. The turkeys weighed in at the following:
Males - 40, 38, 36
Females - 28, 26, 19
We are cooking the 38 pounder for Thanksgiving. Wish us luck because it is going to be an undertaking! We are brining today and cooking tomorrow and let's hope we can get this bad boy cooked all the way through. He is too big for the oven bags, we will have to squeeze his fat little body into our roasting pan too and I think he barely fits in the oven. It will be a Thanksgiving to remember - let's hope for good reasons. We do have a meat thermomether so I don't think we'll give anyone food poisoning we just might not be able to eat until 10 pm.

1 comment:

  1. Haha yes!! I have been waiting for this post! Although im ticked you can't upload the video! I really can not wait to hear how the turkey taste tomorrow. Please take pictures and do another post on how you actually cooked that dang thing!! I really am soo happy we were able to stop by! We will always remember your great turkey harvest....although that may not be a good thing! haha!

    ReplyDelete