Monday, September 19, 2011

Honey Festival

We decided to venture out to see Tsaritsino. The reason to try and go now, is that during September across the street is Honey Festival. Russians must love their honey is all I can say. There were rows and rows and rows of little honey stands like this one. We estimate around 200 stands. Almost all exactly the same . . .
They give you little sticks to sample the honey. I didn't know honey could taste so different, but it can - based on the plants the bees are collecting pollen from. I don't normally like honey plain anyway, but one of the ones we tried was soo nasty I was scared to taste more.
I'm not sure you can really see it here, but on the horizon, poking out of the trees, is the palace. There were tons of ponds and fountains on the grounds.

The palace was actually never finished, but the government finally finished it in 2007. You can see the ruins in front of it here, but from what I read there were actually walls and everything that you could see so these must have been the worst of the ruins that you see here in front.

We didn't pay to go inside. We'd seen enough museums in St. Petersburg last weekend. It was a fun walk, a lot of uphill pushing the stroller and we were tired out from a long day by the end.
There was also some children's event going on, but it was sparse. Levin saw a sign saying the tenth month is family and children's month, but it's not yet October so we were confused. Some people gave me a Family magazine, but only the title was in English. I also got a free bottle. I think we were the first "customers" because both people had someone take our picture as they were handing me the free item.
The kids got these balloons on our way out. And of course they were dropped more than once on the Metro ride home.
In our rush out the door Levin put Leah in just her sandals. Probably because she was crying her tennis shoes are dirty which she has been doing lately . . . . in comparison to these sandals she's worn all summer they are pristine, but she had an issue. Luckily her feet didn't freeze since it is getting a little chilly here.

1 comment:

  1. Melissa...a honey festival is awesome! Let me guess they sold beewax too. Nobody out here ever does! I have to admit I would have love to go.

    ReplyDelete