Monday, April 7, 2014

Preschool

Leah started preschool in February.  It didn't feel like the right decision to send her in the fall, and it is quite expensive.  So we didn't.  And I felt really good about that.  Time went on and I think maybe in part when we found out I was pregnant we realized we'd get some per diem money while we were separated before the baby was born.  We felt richer perhaps . . . and thought we could afford preschool.  I don't know, but I've always felt there is a reason I get pregnant when I do - uh . . rather quickly and easily.  I feel like this time it was so we'd put Leah in preschool.  I think it was the right decision to keep her home before, but now was the time to send her.  I have never made a decision that I'd felt more confident about when I made it and felt more continued confidence that I'd made the right decision.  I can't imagine what life would be like if we hadn't sent her.  And when I read the newsletters her teacher sends out I am just even more happy that we made this choice.
These pictures all come from the teacher's newsletters and I did them all at once and the newsletters weren't in order.  Somehow I got dropped off the mailing list and so I got all of March's today.  So I think this first picture is from the latest newsletter and the last picture is from the first, bu the rest are jumbled together.
Below is a picture of Leah drawing the other half of her face after being given a photograph of the other half.  They are learning about symmetry.
 Working at the table.
 The preschool class at this age group when we first moved here, so when Leah wasn't even quite 3, was full of awful girls.  I'm sorry, but that is the only way to say it.  They were always leaving people out, being mean, horrible!  Leah's teacher, Ms. Yelena, told me when a new girl came they told her she had to pay money if she wanted to play with them.  The girls in Leah's class couldn't be more opposite.  It makes me so happy when I see Leah playing with these girls. Leah used to try and get those mean girls to play with her because none of these little girls lived here yet and let's just say, she wasn't included very well and I worried about her self-esteem a lot.  These girls Leah knew already before starting preschool from the playground, but also she was just accepted right into their circle of friendship.  She has had many play dates and when I go to pick up Leah on the playground at the end of preschool or other times I notice how they all just switch up who they are playing with from one moment to the next and there are no hard feelings.  Warms my heart!!!  I don't know if it is just the friendly  nature of the girls or if their parents deserve a lot of kudos.
 Playing with snow and colored water to see how it melts.
 They do little dramas which I'm sure are right up Leah's alley.  When they do them they take turns who is the director and Ms. Yelena says all the kids follow along and follow direction very well.  Even the shy kids participate because it is so fun.

 Working on math.
 They really keep the kids active here which is a great thing for Leah.
 They had a visit from leprechauns and made traps on St. Patrick's Day.  Leah was super excited.  Ms. Yelena said some of the kids had scared faces so they talked about pretend and real.  Thank heavens because I did not want to carry-on the leprechaun stuff at home, so I hope Leah got the message about pretend.
 Butterflies - Leah's is the top left one (purple.)  They painted one side and then folded it.
 This activity here I was very impressed with as we saw it as a work in progress when we'd go pick up Leah from school.  Ms. Yelena drew a symmetrical "picture" and then drew a line down the middle.  Then they had to color it using team work to make sure that both sides were exactly the same.  She said the kids were amazing at working together to discuss how it should look, not getting too bossy, or not rebelling and just doing what they wanted.  I was very impressed.


 Leah drawing a sky scraper. They read a story, I don't think it was King Kong, but with dinosaurs and sky scrapers.  Here is Leah drawing a sky scraper.
 Cutting something out . . .
And here are the finished products.  Leah's is the 2nd from the left on the top row.  But her sky scraper she was drawing is two to the right.  I'm not sure how that happened.  But oh well.
 Working as a class.  The bottom right person in the picture below is Ms. Weng, the teacher's assistant.

 They have Tae Kwon Do class twice a week.  Here is Master Inna with Leah and Aurora working on punching the wall I guess.  I've heard that considering Leah got such a late start compared to the other kids, that she does a great job.
 We actually saw this one day just for a second.  We didn't get to see Leah try, but Master Inna rolls the hula hoop and the kids try to run through it.  Pretty cool.  I'm not sure what it has to do with Tae Kwon Do, but it does have to do with coordination so I like it.  It made me wish I could try.
Leah with some blocks.
 When they get a new student they have an ice cream party.  This was was for Leah and Safir.  Leah was convinced it was only for Safir because she had already done the preschool camp the previous summer.  They had another one a few weeks later for Sophia.  Leah's class has a few Russians and then one other American, and the rest like Paulina and Scarlet (with Leah below) live here at the Embassy compound.
 Leah seems more excited to be at home when she is, although she is most of the time very anxious for it to be time to get ready for preschool.  She started magically knowing how to put on her own snow pants, gloves, hat, etc. as soon as preschool started.  She follows directions at home better and came home with even more creative ideas for things that she and Oliver could play.  We have quiet afternoons for at least an hour when she leaves while Oliver plays and Autumn naps.  Leah is so happy and I can't imagine how bored she'd be at home with us all day.
As I said, it may have been one of the best decisions ever.

1 comment:

  1. I was just thinking about preschool the other day and wondering if I'll end up sending Carson when he's a little older. I never thought I would, but he would probably love it. But then I feel sad about sending him because soon enough he'll be in school for years. I'm glad Leah likes it so much!

    ReplyDelete