Friday, September 23, 2016

Birthdays In China

Happy Birthday to me!  Brandon wanted a little cake action and reached right into my cake.  If you watch Master Chef you'll know what it means when Levin said, "I really put myself on a plate."  Yummy cake!  This wasn't the only cake we had . . . but it was the only pictured cake.
Our apartment complex gives everyone a gift on their birthday.  For Autumn they brought this cute bird.  Imagine my surprise a few weeks later when I was at the reception office and saw Autumn right there on the bulletin board.  I noticed all the adults got wine.  So on my birthday when they asked if they could bring me a gift I knew it'd be wine.  They made a really big deal about getting Autumn's picture with her gift and now I knew why. I was pretty nervous about getting my wine anyway.  I'd decided not to decline it because that'd make the employee who was just doing their job feel awkward.  I was nervous however about having a picture of the Mormon lady with all the kids having a picture of herself with a bottle of wine.  But happily, they didn't even ask for a picture! Crisis averted.  
I don't know if we did the right thing or not, but we poured the wine down the toilet - we did let all the kids have a sniff first.  I remember when people would talk about "you can smell he's been drinking" when I was a kid and for a long (really long) time having no idea what smell they were talking about.  So I guess I thought knowledge is power . . . and let my kids have a whiff.  Leah said, "oh, smells like Grandma Flake's sour dough bread."

No comments:

Post a Comment