Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Pineapple: A Not Very Brief History

Most of my life when I thought of pineapple I thought of school lunch and a pile of "tidbits" in my vomit colored lunch tray. Not a big fan.
Then I moved to DC and realized fresh pineapple is darn good and it seemed all the classy "I live in a big city in the east" activities seemed to have this pineapple. I even learned how to buy it and cut it myself and for the first time I enjoyed Hawaiian pizza.
Then I moved to Nigeria. Now there are few things about Nigeria that one could say "this is better than America" I really mean it because right now I am struggling to think of any others. BUT the pineapples here are so good. And they are CHEAPER than in America. They have 2 varieties of pineapple, one is kind of white and very skinny but also very tasty.
We buy pineapple at the veggie ladies on the streets. The ones pictured here are kind of small but sometimes you'll see huge ones. Then Levin and I went to Ghana. We pulled over at a pineapple farm and Levin pulled the whole I work for the US Dept. of Agric. and the farmers cut us off a few free ones. Please notice the fur hat.
Cutting pineapple is its big drawback. We were doing a poor job so our driver Ebineezer did it for us. We were too busy eating to get a picture of the sweet juices running down our arms. It was the best pineapple I've ever had before and since. Soo delicious.
As mentioned above cutting the pineapple is what makes them annoying and messy and why sometimes Levin and I would buy one and then have it sit on our cupboard for a few days and then be too ripe when we finally overcame our laziness and cut into it.
A few months ago Levin solved this problem by buying this awesome and affordable contraption. A pineapple corer and slicer. It is so easy and makes such little mess! Anyone that has been a guest in our house since the purchase has had a demonstration. That is how proud of it we are. We could even do a Home Shopping Network plug for it if they'd hire us.

2 comments:

  1. So, this doesn't have anything to do with your pineapple post, but I think that your blog is giving me nightmares. Last night I had a dream that I was being chased by someone through a mall/business office/casino somewhere in Africa (we'll say Lagos). When I finally found someone to talk to, we were sitting there, and I realized that my purse was behind me, and when I looked back, some guy had already taken my wallet out. But when I asked him if I could have it back, he said no, and walked off. And then later, I was walking through "Lagos" without a wallet trying to figure out how I would get a train back to wherever I was supposed to be. Does that sound at all accurate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've totally wanted to buy that thing! I think it is brilliant, I'm glad to know it actually works. I'm off to buy one!

    ReplyDelete