Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Moscow River Cruise

Levin's Area Director is visiting so last night the kids and I got to tag along while Levin took him on a Moscow River cruise. We started off at Hotel Ukraine. That's what everyone calls it, even though it says Radisson right on it. It is one of the 7 sisters, but uh, I didn't take a picture. In the picture below you can see the white house in the background (middle). It's for parliament so you know where Putin works. The other building is just apartments I think.
We shared some food because it was expensive. The picture below shows another of the Seven Sisters not sure which one right now.
Leah was a real trouper even though we were on the boat for 3 hours and well past her bed time. She walked a long ways to get there and walked most of the way home before pooping out and I had to carry her.
Our picture turned out really blurry for some reason even though the picture of Mike taken just seconds before was perfectly clear. I'd post it for your comparison, but he might think it weird that I'm posting pictures of him on my blog.
Pictured above is a church that has been rebuilt in the last 10 years so rumor has it. I didn't fact check this so I hope I'm not lying. Stalin had envisioned an 8th sister even bigger than the others and tore down this church in order to build it. Then he died and it was never built and for a while was the world's largest swimming pool. Private donations rebuilt this church. Just one more reason that Stalin is in hell - tearing down big beautiful churches. It may not compare with killing millions of people, but still naughty.
The Kremlin above and more of The Kremlin below.
Below - St. Basils - it was getting too dark and Oliver was screaming in my arms so I couldn't figure out how to do the night setting on my camera. I swear it has one. I will be looking into that.
Below - another of the Seven Sisters. The cruise ended just after this building - or turned around that is. This one is a "inhabited building" according to the map the cruise gave us. I think that means residential. I wonder how much money you have to make to live here. We also passed Moscow University on the way there, but you saw pictures of that on my blog just last week or so.
The cruise made me think what a great city Moscow is! I'm so happy we get this chance to live here. The only problem is that it is not so friendly to mom's and strollers. Lifting strollers up and down stairs is no joy and we almost got ran over crossing a street on the walk home. Levin said something like durak which I'm pretty sure means stupid in Russian and Mike said a few other words I'm not allowed to type, but they were in English.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I agree, you are lucky to live in such a cool place. Those pictures are beautiful--I can't imagine what it must be like in person.

    ReplyDelete