So . . I know this is more than a month late, but at least it's not a year late like my Israel pictures I posted the other day. Russians celebrate Christmas on January 7th, but the big party is New Years when Ded Meroz and his grandaughter Snegurochka visit and bring all the presents. The trees are not Christmas trees they are New Years trees. Anyway, so they take off the entire first week of January. The perk of being at an Embassy is you get US and local holidays off so Levin had that whole week off. Last year I was morning sick and we watch obscene amounts of TV. I did not want to do that this year. When it didn't work out for my mom to fly back with me after Autumn was born we cooked up this plan, partially selfishly, to get my Mom and Dad to come this week. It worked out well that we wouldn't be bored on short winter days, and they could be here when Levin was off work and could be more of a tour guide. It was so much fun to have them here and over a month later I still miss them.
They came bearing gifts. This is Autumn's Elmo doll.
Oliver got some cowboy boots which he has started wearing more now than he did then.
Here are all the cowboys (and girl)
Somehow this got out of order, but the next day or was it their first day . . . hmm . . we saw the changing of the guard at their equivalent of the tomb of the unknown soldier at the Kremlin. It was the first time I'd seen it. I think I'll post a video later.
Grandma also made the kids aprons. Oliver wasn't cooperating for pictures that night - it was too late.
The other changing of the guard picture.
At Red Square.
By the ice skating rink at Red Square.
St. Basils.
The department store/mall GUM. Unfortunately, we've learned since then. I have heard how good the cafeterias are at the top of GUM. We got there at the tail end of breakfast so it was sparse and not so tasty. We went again this past week and got much better food - so much better.
Bolshoi theater.
Back at the Embassy. They built a little ice rink and we were working with Leah on skating. She has gotten pretty darn good. Last time we tried it desperately needed zambonied (how would you say/spell that?) and it wasn't very good, but typing this reminds me we need to take her again.
They came bearing gifts. This is Autumn's Elmo doll.
Oliver got some cowboy boots which he has started wearing more now than he did then.
Here are all the cowboys (and girl)
Somehow this got out of order, but the next day or was it their first day . . . hmm . . we saw the changing of the guard at their equivalent of the tomb of the unknown soldier at the Kremlin. It was the first time I'd seen it. I think I'll post a video later.
Grandma also made the kids aprons. Oliver wasn't cooperating for pictures that night - it was too late.
The other changing of the guard picture.
At Red Square.
By the ice skating rink at Red Square.
St. Basils.
The department store/mall GUM. Unfortunately, we've learned since then. I have heard how good the cafeterias are at the top of GUM. We got there at the tail end of breakfast so it was sparse and not so tasty. We went again this past week and got much better food - so much better.
Bolshoi theater.
Back at the Embassy. They built a little ice rink and we were working with Leah on skating. She has gotten pretty darn good. Last time we tried it desperately needed zambonied (how would you say/spell that?) and it wasn't very good, but typing this reminds me we need to take her again.
No comments:
Post a Comment