Saturday, May 7, 2016

Farmer

We added a sheep to our "collection" of animals. I don't want to brag, but I cook a pretty mean lamb roast thanks to this little lamb.
 Levin grew a huge and amazing garden.  We had to leave in July for a 3 week vacation so we didn't get all the proceeds, but we got a lot before and after.  Levin did a pretty good job of timing things right.

 We may have subsidized our strawberries at a local pick your own.
 Our blueberry bushes were quite prolific.  I've never typed that word before . . .did I use it correctly?

 I was pretty surprised at the size of Levin's strawberries.  They were super tasty as well. We ate some, but also made some jam out of them.

 Lance is our best fruit and vegetable eater we've ever had.  Here he is covered in strawberries and blueberries.
 When Aunt Dani visited we made her help us pick strawberries our second trip to the pick your own.
Farming is not without its problems.  We started getting black snakes eating our eggs.  This was the first one Levin killed.  It had whole eggs inside of it when he killed it with the shovel.  After killing several others we said goodbye to our chickens and gave them to the Hale family.  They occasionally give us eggs and they make sure to give us some of the green ones from our chickens.
 The peas were my FAVORITE.  I don't know if we have a picture of this, but one day Levin made the kids work on the beans - black beans and kidney beans.  For a long time after they both referred to it as the worst day ever. But I think I took care of shelling all the peas.  I didn't want to risk that any would get lost or wasted.  I LOVE raw peas and frozen garden ones are so good too.

 These are the black raspberries, but we had red raspberries and some blackberries too.  Lance crawled over to the raspberries one day while Levin and I were working by tomatoes and just started pulling them off and eating them.
 I think Levin was most proud of his watermelons - and he doesn't even like them. They were pretty good, but most got ready while we were gone so we didn't get too many of them, but other people did.

No comments:

Post a Comment