We used to be on 100% generator power. Those were days never to be forgotten. For the last 8 months or so we've been on NEPA (Nigerian power company). It cuts in and out several times a day. Our guards run over and "on the gen." and and so within about 60 seconds we have power again. I have to do things like remember to start the dryer again, etc.
This week our generator is broken. So we go for stretches at a time with no power at all. One silver lining is that we ordered really good Indian food for dinner while we had no power. We had it delivered and the guy found our house no problems. Yea for Indigo!
That night they tried and tried to fix the generator during the night so we were woken up several times to the rumble grumble of the gen roaring to life, A/C runs for 10 seconds, and then out. Finally, NEPA kicked back in and we had some power, but then realized we are on about 50% capacity. I am writing this with the internet and computer working, but sitting in the dark. My dryer is running but my washer is stuck on the rinse cycle. One room my A/C works, but no lights. The other the lights work, but no A/C.
When this happened again this morning I went running out only to see the representative of the landlord and the Consulate housing guy drive away from the compound. Apparently they have to call someone else. As a side note, I hate the Consulate housing guy because every time he comes he asks to talk to my housekeeper and doesn't want to talk to me. When I tell him she only works for me part-time and is at her main boss's house he goes over to there. Just talk to me dang it!
Note: Part of this post was edited out here.
We've had light problems throughout the house and the guys to come fix them haven't come. They're supposed to come today. Just my luck they'll finally show up when we have no power so we can't tell if they've fixed them or not. Leah needs a bath but there are no lights in her bathroom (did I mention it is a dark rainy day?), and my bathroom water heater has no power.
Now to be optimistic for how blessed we are. At least we have a generator (most the time) and at least of all the things that we don't have power for our freezer and refrigerator and microwave do have power. Yesterday when we had no power at all for a while I was forced to eat Hershey Kisses for lunch. And that meal I mentioned we ordered from Indigo cost more than our guards make in a week. So we have money. Those are my blessings. My other blessing is that in a week and a few days I'll be back in America and there better not be any power outages.
The end.
A meal of only Hershey's kisses sounds good to me. But all that other stuff does not. But whenever this stuff is happening to you, just think to yourself, "Amy will LOVE this story! Amy will LOVE this story!" and it won't seem so bad. Right? You live to amuse me with your adventures, right?
ReplyDeleteIt is hard to find other things to say about your life except, WOW! And Amy has it right, We Love your stories!!!!
ReplyDelete