Friday, April 16, 2010

Time to Say Goodbye Part 2

Yesterday we said goodbye to our dear friend Kelsey. Just to give you an idea of how special Kelsey is to us, yesterday Leah woke up from her nap GRUMPY! Neither Leah or I could figure out what she wanted. Then I saw Kelsey pull in the compound and I said, "Leah our friend Kelsey is here shall we go let her inside." Leah, who had her head down, perked up and gave a huge smile.

Kelsey took a very long extended Christmas and has only been back for a month. During that time we have kept her SOOO busy. Levin said I was smothering her, but I figured why not she only has a month to deal with me and then she can hate me for the rest of her life. Happily for me, she said she didn't mind!

Here are pictures of one of the fun things we did and sadly the only picture we have of her.

We made aprons!

Lucky for me, Kelsey knows how to sew and read a pattern, and lucky for her, I have a sewing machine. And I guess lucky for both of us, Africa has a plethora of fabric and cheaper than the U.S.
If you are wondering why I have two and Kelsey only has one, it is because she is such a good person that she always let me work on mine first. Here is what it was like. Kelsey drives over to my house. Kelsey figures out the pattern and explains to me what to do. Kelsey plays with Leah while I sew, Kelsey plays with Leah while I rip out my mistakes (more time spent with the seam ripper than the actual sewing machine I think.) Leah screams because Kelsey comes over to help me instead of play with her. I feed Leah something and Kelsey presses my fabric. Hmm . . . who do you think is getting the better deal here? Obviously me!
I forgot to mention that during this time there is almost non-stop talking. If there is something we are good at - it is talking.

Kelsey has been one of our life savers here in Lagos. She arrived just a short while before I came back to Lagos with tiny baby Leah. Kelsey would watch Leah while I took a tennis lesson and then she'd play tennis and THEN we'd do water aerobics while Levin watched Leah. It was our Wednesday thing to do. Sorry, I never got any pictures of that (probably a good thing as my face was usually beet red and swimming suit pictures are kind of a no-no.)

Kelsey is, hmm . . . I'm too embarrassed to say how much younger because I feel old, but we have a lot in common. She and I are both from small towns with an LDS influence, but not Utah. Both of our Dad's work with cattle and we both moved to Lagos within weeks of getting married and we both like to stay busy.

Included in my smothering of Kelsey this last month we had her, her husband Jeff, and our friend Roy over several times to play Settlers of Catan. We wish they were coming with us!
We'll miss you Kelsey!!

2 comments:

  1. I promise tears are rolling down my face as i read this. Although i am ticked that you make it sound like it was such a bad deal on my part "teaching" you to sew and playing with leah! I LOVED every single min. of it! Not only do i feel privileged to be posted about in your blog but i still trying to deny the fact that you really aren't going to be there when i get back!! I wish we smothered each other way more the last year and a half!! I miss you and Leah too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! This is I guess your cousins wife?? Travis McDowell is my husband and I am Ann. I don't think we have ever met but hey we are related!! Check out our blog
    mcdowellfamil07.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete