Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Farm Life Update

My pictures aren't in very good order here, but here we go.
#1 As you can see the chicken coup now has poultry wire all the way to the ceiling so no more having to say it flew the coup. Thanks to Levin's Dad who fixed this. He also fixed the turkey coup so it is in the same state. Thank goodness because Dani and I didn't enjoy catching a turkey with a bucket every morning. Though I'm sure it was quite humorous from an outsiders perspective to see me with my shield (a metal trash can lid) and Dani with her bucket. She'd throw it on the turkey and I'd scoop it up with my shield and carry it back to the coup. Unfortunately, that bad turkey got out the first morning my father-in-law was on animal duty and he didn't notice and well . . . turkey lurkey is gone forever. I can't say I'm too terribly sad. About day 3 of Levin being gone theses turkeys went to town and started going through water and food like crazy! They are literally eating us out of house and home. I just watched Food Inc the other night and I guess this is what happens when you breed animals to grow fat quickly.
#2 The sheep have their own little paradise in the center of our pasture. Levin built this while he was at home. Unfortunately, southern Maryland is in a serious dought so they are now eating hay and sheep feed.
#3 Milky Way is growing up. Levin with help from nephews who came all the way from Canada and his brother who lives nearby with his sons, plus Levin's Dad, all worked and we have a real fence to keep Milky Way in the pasture so no more living in panels that have to be moved regularly and he's no longer in part of our property I consider yard so I don't have to be uspet he's poohing on my yard. Unfortunately the yard part I'm speaking of now has natural fertilizer and needs to be mowed up and cleaned still.
#4 The turkeys mentioned while I was talking about the chickens. One day when one of the Turkeys was out Leah was out with me to water the sheep and kept getting close to it and saying "turkey!" I was freaked out and kept yelling at her, get away or he'll peck your eyes out! She didn't listen and we had to have a little discipline. She saw Dani and I throw the bucket on top of it and freaked out. I was hoping I was raising an animal hater like myself, but apparently she is going to be an animal lover like Levin. If she only knew Levin's fate for these turkeys is Thanksgiving dinner for everyone in our county (well, it seems like with 9 turkeys we ought to be able to feed that many people.) I had stopped being scared of the turkeys when it was my duty to tend to the animals. Now that my father-in-law is looking after them I have to say just looking at that picture of the turkeys gives me the heebie jeebies. I hate birds . . yuck!
In memory that I had to capture those dang things I think I'll go buy myself something nice tomorow. Love you Levin!












2 comments:

  1. So fun to read the updates!! I could never take care of our chickens without Leif, let alone a whole homestead of animals. I know you have some help, but I'm very impressed!! Good Luck and keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you lived on a farm. You're so adventurous! And I love the mental image of you chasing a turkey with a garbage can lid. :)

    ReplyDelete