Thursday, January 5, 2012

Ice Skating at Gorky Park

On Monday we went ice skating at Gorky Park. Leah got ice skates for Christmas. She has been wanting to go ice skating since we moved to Moscow, but we had to wait for it to get cold enough. She fell down, SOOOOO many times, but loved it! She kept saying, "Mom, can we not go home? Mom, can we keep practicing?" And my favorite, "Mom, I'm getting it, I'm getting better!"
To be honest, I'm not sure we ever did get any better. Levin and I went ice skating once for a date and other than that I have not been except for a few times in high school. I was not actually doing much skating as I slowly moved Leah around the ice, but I only fell down once and it was when I went to talk to Levin who was on the bridge above us and had to cut through people who actually knew how to skate. Trying to get out of their way I lost control. Leah did better when I didn't hold her hand, but she would hardly let me let go of her. My muscles were so sore the next day from picking her up or dragging her up as she started to go down.

Here you can see just a small part of the other ice skaters. At Gorky park it's no rink, it is just tons of track. There are a lot of good Russian ice skaters. They had loud music playing and it was a lot of fun. In the end we had to go home Oliver had had enough of spectating. Although he was a very happy boy initially. He loved his perch up on the bridge above. Leah was freezing by the time we got to the car and the wetness from falling so many times had seeped through her fleece lined pants. If we go again we'll have her put on snow pants.

3 comments:

  1. Your pictures together are priceless! How fun that you were able to skate with her! Such a good mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...such a brave trooper for such a young girl! She could teach my 5 1/2 and 9 1/2 year old a few things on the ice. I'm guessing my won't want to go back, but we'll see. That's interesting that it's like a track rather than a rink...my kids would've preferred it I think, more rails to hang onto! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I've never seen such a big place for skating. That looks fun! Although I've never gotten the hang of ice skating, and probably never will. You are a nice mom to take Leah skating. :)

    ReplyDelete