Friday, October 21, 2011

Homemade Play-Doh

We didn't bring play-doh with us and the toys here are extremely expensive, so I've twice made Leah play-doh, today was the second time. The first time I ended up throwing it away because she kept bringing it out of the kitchen and I was sick of finding it stuck on things, bottom of shoes, the carpet, etc. I gathered my courage and made it again since I'm trying to get her off her TV addiction. She would watch it 12 hours a day if I let her, and sometimes I just don't know how else to entertain her so I let her watch too much.
My mom made it for us growing up, and I was reminded of it long ago when I saw it in the Flake Family Cookbook. Unfortunately, there are like 10 slightly different recipes for it in there and I always agonize over which one to choose. SO . . I decided to post the one I think I figured out I like best and that way I don't have to waste time deciding anymore.

1/2 c. salt
2 c. flour
2 T oil
2 c. water
2 tsp. cream of tartar

Combine ingredients in a pan and cook over medium heat until mixture thickens, stirring at all times. Remove from pan and knead until smooth. Food coloring may be added. Store in airtight container or baggie.

3 comments:

  1. Ah homemade play-doh... Since I never ever have cream of tartar I always have to find some other recipe. Like those 3 times I've made clay... Maybe one day I'll have to actually buy cream of tartar and then I'll make clay and maybe even snickerdoodles, which I can never make either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you use baby oil it'll smell really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for posting this, I am going to make it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete