Saturday, October 4, 2014

Lance is Born

It was a cold and stormy night . . . . I always feel like you have to preface any birth story with that phrase.  I don't know why.
BUT Lance was our only baby that we left in the middle of the night.  I woke up and felt really uncomfortable, but the last little bit of pregnancy is uncomfortable.  I thought I just needed to use the bathroom, so I did, but still felt weird.  I went back to sleep.  An hour later Levin woke up to use the bathroom and while he was gone I thought man, this isn't going away.  Maybe I am preparing to go into labor.  By the time he got back I thought . . no, I think I am in labor.
We let my parents know and packed up quickly.  I just knew I'd end up having to be induced.  I had packed a bag of things, but not super thoroughly.  We got out things together.  I called the hospital to let them know we were coming and we left.  It takes 30 minutes to get to Alamosa and I was very sure I was in labor.  At the first stop light in Alamosa it was red and there were no cars.  I mean seriously, how many other people are at at 4 am?  So Levin just ran the light.
We got to the hospital and they were taking their sweet time.  I wanted to say, you know this is my 4th baby, I'm not faking it, and I know what a contraction feels like.  Do you see me doubled over in pain here while I take a break from putting on the gown.  Finally when we talked further (I'll keep this clean for the faint of heart) they realized I was really progressed.  They called the midwife.  The nurse told me later she started to panic and was dropping things, etc.  I didn't witness that though.  The midwife came and was like, uh . . the anesthetist lives kind of far out so we should probably just tell him not to come.  But I was in such pain and agony - no break from pain in between contractions, just slightly less intense maybe.  They try to keep me somewhat calm, but I confess I wasn't very calm.  This was the worst pain of all the others and I wasn't prepared for natural labor like I was with Autumn.  Strangely, I hadn't decided if I wanted an epidural or not before this.  I just kept feeling like it didn't matter what I decided.  And alas, here we are with it out of my control.  The anesthetist finally arrive and it is too late to give me a regular epidural, but they decide to give me a "walking epidural."  While he is administering it I scream, moan, and push all involuntarily, telling them "he's coming!"  But they are all more focused on keeping me calm enough to get a shot in the back then on listening to what I'm saying.  When I lay back down I feel something weird and tell Levin - uh, can you look down there.  And there is the baby's head out.  One more push and he is here!!  And guess what!?  He's not teeny baby.  He is 10 pounds 9 oz!  And everyone thought Leah was big.  He is almost a full pound bigger!!  It must be something in that San Luis Valley air - both babies born in Alamosa are my biggest.
 He's beautiful.  His head is perfectly round.  I figure it's because he shot out so fast.  Oh yeah, did I mention he was born at 5 am?  Less than an hour after we arrived at the hospital.  Thank heavens for fast labors.  I say it was Shock and Awe though because it was definitely intense!
 And the walking epidural turns out to be perfect.  It took the edge off all the other pains after birth, but I could still walk and this was the first time I didn't pass out or come very darn close to passing out my first time getting out of bed after a delivery.
 Levin was very good while I was probably embarassing him with my screaming.  Here he is with Oliver - the boys - later that day.  I am not sure what is going on with Oliver's hair, but it has to be very short - too short to stand up - or kind of long enough to weigh itself down to lay down flat.

 Grandma took great care of the kids.  I'm sure they were a little naughty for her because that is how they can be once they are comfortable with someone and they know Mom and Dad aren't around to correct their manners.  Grandma was such a great help with the kids and Lance after he was born.  I guess she has 2 more babies than I do, but even though her youngest is 30 she still seems to handle babies better than I do.  Especially with this brut I feel like I'm always holding him like a heavy wiggly object.
 I posted this picture to remind us how difficult it is to get all my kids to look at the camera in a normal way.  Someone is always refusing to look or making silly faces. I can't count how many times they are not looking at me when I tell them to so I can take a picture and they say, "I am!" while they are looking off in the distance or down at their feet.  AAAAH!  Oliver I hope some day one of your kids does this while you're trying to take a picture.
 The beautiful baby at home.  They sent us home only a little more than 24 hours after he was born.  It was a short hospital stay.  I like to be home anyway, but the more kids I get the more I appreciate the just sitting I do at the hospital.  It goes without saying he didn't wear any newborn sized clothes and I think Levin went out and bought him size 1 diapers (not newborn) before we even left the hospital.
 Four kids feels like a big family now.

 A few days later Oliver really wanted Lance to wear his hat so they could take a picture both wearing their hats.  I don't know where the hospital got this hat for Lance, but I am guessing the normal ones wouldn't fit his big head.  Every nurse came in and commented on, so he's the big baby I've heard about.
 We didn't have to get a newborn passport photo like we did with Autumn and Leah, but this bad, but up close picture reminds me of the stress of getting a good newborn passport photo and begging the sleepy baby to open their eyes for it.


 I can't believe I got him to have a pacifier in his mouth.  I tried and tried, but to no avail.  He will only occasionally take one so I gave up not long after.  I am regretting not trying harder as he is quite difficult to get to sleep and stay asleep and I have taken to feeding him to sleep which only works if he's hungry and doesn't get too big of a burp inside.  So, let's just say he's not my best napper.
 I thought he looked so beautiful and peaceful in this picture.
Why won't he sleep this deep now???? 
 I feel like I get a newborn shot with the baby in the hospital when I look dreadful and then I don't get any others for a long time.  So I made Levin take this picture.  I only wish I'd put on make up first, but I shouldn't be so vain.
 I want him to be a genius so we gave him this book.  JK, but I always feel sorry for newborns just laying there.  I don't know how to play with a newborn well.
 I could be wrong, but I think this might have been taken the day we went to the airport to fly to Maryland.  At two weeks he got to fly.  My biggest memory regarding him that day is that I was wearing him in a baby carrier because I had to check his carseat.  All the bending to put shoes on and off going through security must have upset his stomach.  He'd had a stuffy nose so we gave him nose drops and he must have swallowed a lot of snot.  Anyway, I stand up and think, yes, we made it through security with no issues and then blech!  He spit up all over my shirt and his pants.  Lovely, green snot laced milk nastiness.  The good thing is it didn't even really bother me.  He's the one, riding so close to me, that had to smell me all day.  And he blocked others from seeing how nasty I was.  And he was pretty much an angel the rest of the trip if I remember correctly.  I do remember he miraculously took a pacifier while I found a place to feed him in the airport.  I don't remember wanting to cry because he was being bad so he must have been okay.  What a sweet baby!

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet little guy! I had the same experience when I had Wyatt. He was out 20 minutes after we checked in at the hospital. Thank heavens it's close to our house. I described it the same way...intense! I was not prepared at all for a natural birth. I didn't get an epidural at all but thankfully the after birth wasn't bad :/ I'm definitely taking classes next time...just in case.

    ReplyDelete