Friday, October 31, 2014

My Birthday

My birthday was fun!  We found out the day before that Levin got promoted so I felt a little overshadowed in our excitement over his promotion.  HOWEVER, I had a great birthday.  The best I've had in years.  The last few years Levin has been gone, or I was at home, or something hasn't worked out to actually celebrate my birthday, on my birthday.  I didn't want that this year because then it feels like you didn't really get a birthday you just got a few days with some nice things, a present on one day, a cake on one day.  I wanted it all on one day for one big birthday bash - or something like that.
Levin took the day off of work, but there was an emergency so he had to work a little from home in the morning.  He got a great shout out from the administrator for his hard work so I guess it was worth it.
He took me to Panera Bread for lunch and I am sure I will never ever get him back there, but it was a promise he made a long time ago that he had to fulfill.
He got me an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen.  He has made me some cakes in the past that didn't really turn out so I think that's why he preferred to buy one. :)  It was pretty good.
I got some lovely presents - notice the lovely wrapping job.  Ha ha.  I got a Sweet Frog sweatshirt AND t-shirt.  A mandolin slicer and a thing that gets corn off the cob.  I was pretty happy.
 Leah really wanted me to get a pinata for my birthday.  We always had one in Moscow, but it was one of the things I determined we'd drop from our budget when we were poor living in America.  So Oliver and Autumn didn't have one. But Leah REALLY wanted me to have one because she really wants one so I had to say yes.  Besides Levin just got promoted right which  means a teeny bit more money in our bank accounts.
Levin picked it out and got Minnie Mouse - Autumn's obsession tied only with the color pink and maybe being a princess.  She wanted to hold it so bad on the way home, but then suddenly when we got home she was terrified of Minnie Mouse.
 Here I am taking my turn, sporting my new Sweet Frog shirt.
 Oliver taking a whack at it.
 Her legs broke off and that's how we got the candy out.  Autumn refused to come close, but she did take the candy we offered her.  The kids filled up their shoes with candy.  And I confess I went nuts for the Andes mints inside.  Speaking of Andes mints - I always think of my Dad when I eat those.
 Here is Autumn with her candy, but a safe distance away from Minnie Mouse.
My birthday was a month and a half ago, but Autumn still regularly tells me, Mommy!  We broke Minnie Mouse, we broke Minnie Mouse.  I try to focus on the fact that yeah, and then the candy came out.  It hasn't turned her off Minnie Mouse, but she just regularly states it in a slightly sad voice.  I thought she'd stopped, but she's been at it again and watching me post this she has been saying it over and over so I'm going to post this so we can get it off her mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment