Eyo Festival is "unique to Lagos and takes place whenever occasion and tradition demand, but it is usually held as the final burial rites for a highly regarded chief." Basically that means it's held every few years and this years was after an Oba that died over a year ago in February. We wouldn't have attended due to security concerns, but we did see one loan masquerader walking down the street as we were leaving our church. I would have thought he would have removed his garb now so far from the festival, but maybe he likes walking with his face covered. Either way we made it home in record time since apparently everyone was at the festival. There is an important rule of Eyo festival - if you are not dressed properly, i.e. are wearing a hat or shoes, or you are taking pictures these masqueraders have the right to beat you with their sticks. Our friend was going, but was going to be sitting next to a governor so we are pretty sure she could do whatever she wanted. I haven't spoken with her yet. One of the Nigerians that works in Levin's office is not from Lagos and his first experience with Eyo festival was when he stumbled upon it on accident. He got out of his car dressed with shoes on and was beaten until he thought he would die and somebody stepped in for him and convinved people to let him go. I asked our motorpool driver on our way home from the church if he had attended Eye Festival before and he said, "yes, it is most enjoyable." I guess the beating isn't all that it is about though another Nigerian in Levin's office attended this year and saw an albino being beaten. Hmm . . I'm pretty pasty skinned myself . . good thing we went to church instead.
Who says Nigeria has no culture?
That is incredible! I'm glad you wrote today. I litterally just thought to myself as I sat with Jakob and ate lunch "I wonder if Melissa will write today. I'm sure she has something to tell about..." Yep! You did. Good to hear from you. I'm glad you're safe!
ReplyDeleteHey Melissa! Cool blog and way to go for getting it going, it takes me forever to get anything done on mine so kudos to you. I am glad you guys are having a good time in Nigeria, I've often thought it would be fun to live somewhere else...but now that I have kids I'm not so brave anymore, so good job on that too. Talk to you later.
ReplyDeleteIt is incredibly creepy.
ReplyDelete