Monday, September 29, 2014

Amber, Jared & Joel Visit

 I think these catch up posts might be out of order, but it is helping me realize what a busy April we had!  Levin's brother Oliver's family moved to Switzerland a few months before we left Russia.  Kind of sad because we were moving back to Maryland and they would no longer be there.  But great for them, as they love Switzerland.  One nice thing is that they were now closer to Russia where Joel and Jared were born.  Amber is a photographer so I guess when she is around I don't think to take pictures.  She was kind enough to let me poach a few from her blog.  I didn't steal any of the ones she posted from when Joel and Jared were adopted in Russia because I felt like those were their personal photos.  But I did get a little carried away because I really liked her pictures.  So there are a few here.

Since technically I took this one, with Amber's camera, it is the same as mine right? :)  It was a lot of fun for me to see the Moscow sights one more time before we left.  Since I knew it would be my last time I think I soaked them in a little more and appreciated them more than I might have considering I've seen Red Square many many times at this point.
Because of the way things worked out with when the market was open and their visit we had to go shopping their 2nd day here I think.  But it meant that they got to wear these fun Russia jackets the rest of their visit and they had these lovely fur hats to feel quite Russian in.  Joel's was giving him some allergy problems so later he bought a slightly less real one.

 One of my favorite places was/is the Tretrakov gallery.  You never see Russian art in museums and some of it was really darn good.  This museum is dedicated to Russian paintings and although the one behind the boys is not my favorite it is the one there is a picture of. :)  I'm not sure Jared and Joel were so thrilled with their experience at this point.
 But a few hours later we were at the Stake Center (church) watching the Piano Guys give a fireside.  They were in town doing a concert and a member of the Area Presidency knew them and convinced them to come give a fireside.  There was more talking than music, but they were amazing.  I loved it!  And Jared and Joel just walked rightin and sat on the front row - to the side at least.  I never would have been brave enough to do that, but it gave us great seats.  Maybe not my short legs, but Amber's long legs could have probably reached out and touched them.
 This church was closed when I was with them, which was sad.  It is a working church even though it is a great tourist destination they operate on their schedule, not a tourist schedule so it wasn't too surprising.  I wish I could have gone inside one more time, but you can't take pictures inside anyway so . . . . Amber went back one time alone and managed to get inside so I was glad for that.

 I always thought this statue of Pushkin and his wife, the one he died trying to defend his honor over, looked a lot like the statue of Joseph and Emma Smith that I believe is in Nauvoo . . . or is it Salt Lake?  I don't know, but I've seen it somewhere.  I always tell our visitors it is Joseph and Emma.
 A very Soviet statue.  When Stephanie and Aaron came to visit we sent them to look at it while we got our kids a snack so it was the first time I got to go over close to it when I was with Amber and the boys.
 I wish they had let a description of what this building was, but they didn't. But it appeared people were working in offices inside.
Last night (this is in September so 4 full months after I left Russia) Levin commented on how happy we were there and how we should have extended to stay a 4th year.  I laughed.  I love Russia and looking at these pictures and thinking of many other beautiful and fun things in Moscow makes me miss it a little, but I am happy to be home.  To everything there is a season . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment