A few months ago I decided I was going to learn to quilt so that I could have something fun and productive to do during the day. I read about it on About.com and finally decided to ask my friend Josie to teach me because she is crafty and I'm not and neither of us get out of the house much. And so Tuesday became sewing day at Josie's for a few weeks. We bought some fabric which Kelsey and I shared since you have to buy it in like 6 yards increments. Levin is always accusing me of not buying fabric that is African enough so I found a really African one and went from there just looking for matches. Unfortunately we weren't at a real fabric market so our choices were quite limited. I named the quilt African Dream. Hmm . . . at times it should have been named African Nightmare instead. WARNING: if you have had a history of seizures I would ask your doctor before looking at these pictures. I'm not kidding.
It is supposed to be twin bed size. Somehow it ended up a little long. I'm not sure how.

For now, it will be on our guest bedroom bed.

I'd like to thank the little people, that would be Leah, that helped me in this project. Here she is helping me pin it (just kidding). She also played by herself in the pack n play a few times while I worked on it. I think I convinced her to let me finish it by telling her we were not going to survive the brutally cold Nigerian winter if I didn't get this quilt finished. Also, thanks to Josie, Kelsey, and some lady I don't know that wrote Patchwork Quilting Made Easy and posted it on the web. That came in handy for the binding. That was the part I was most proud of because I did it on my own.
Patchwork Quilting Made Easy had a little sampler quilt I have been working on while I took a long break from African Dream. I think I should have started with it first as it is much much smaller! And the fabric is a little less straining on the eyes. Maybe someday I will finish it and post a picture. I have to place an order to the U.S.A. before I can finish it though.
Please expand on your husband's statement about not buying fabric that is 'african enough' - i don't get it. And pleeease stop making African quilts or I sooo won't come and stay in your guest room when you live in the States again!
ReplyDeleteWow! You are amazing, can I pay you and you can make me an AFrican quilt?
ReplyDeleteWow- way to go! I can't sew anything...ok, I can sew a button back on, but that is it!! That is really great- you are really talented! Looks like Leah is going to be quilting soon, too - she looks like a good helper! :)
ReplyDeleteWell done! I once started making an apron. I never finished cutting it out. So, anyway, I'm impressed. And it's African enough.
ReplyDeleteWOW! That is AWESOME!!! Really, that is so neat that you started, endured, and FINISHED this project!! Really neat!
ReplyDeleteI love the look of African Dream! I'm very impressed with your quilting abilities. Great fun!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE that fabric! Together me and a sewing machine ALWAYS end up BAD...however Grandma McDowell taught me how to do quilts when we lived in Walla Walla and I have made some really cool ones. I couldn't sew anything else if my life depended on it though - quilts, everything is a straight line so I do pretty well if I do say so myself! :)
ReplyDelete