Almost immediately after the ward party was the Embassy party at the Ambassador's home, aka Spaso House. We have missed the party the last two years for different reasons, so I wanted to go as it was our last chance. Levin and Autumn stayed home and I took Leah and Oliver.
The kids and I went out to get on the bus to get a ride there, and there was only a van which was already full of people. There was some communication problems. We stood outside freezing because I knew I couldn't/wouldn't get both my kids to walk that far. Luckily for us, other people gave up and walked because we only got a 2nd van later. The bus had some problems. Anyway, we got in the van and we were off!
We got there just a few minutes after Leah's friend Elena who was lucky enough to be on the first van who although was waiting was at least warm. They had a band playing fun music and Leah WOULD NOT stop dancing so I only got blurry pictures. It was crowded and the kids were running around with all the excitement. Otherwise I think I would have taken more pictures.
This huge tree was real. The huge ones were real, the small ones fake.They had several crafts for kids to do. It was hard to find a spot on the tables, but we still got some done.
The kids were soo excited to get in this sleigh. A Russian family was taking a long time so I told Leah just go stand up close so they'll know their turn is over. She is like me and was too shy to do that so we had to wait a while, but we got our turn eventually.
Leah had to use the bathroom so we left the big ballroom and I noticed kids with candy canes which was supposedly the present Santa and Ded Morez were giving the kids. I asked about Santa and sure enough he was there now! But they just hadn't announced it yet to the ballroom where most people were. We got so lucky and only had to wait for one other child. I'd heard horror stories of the wait. My kids ran up and jibber jabbered as fast as they could to Santa what they wanted. Then Leah ran off.
I had to make her go back so I could get a picture with them facing me.
One funny story - earlier that day at the church party we heard that Buchi, one of the guys from Nigeria, was in jail. So Levin told Oliver he had to ask Santa for Buchi to get out of prison. He did - including asking him for a gun that shoots pieces.
After this the kids found Elena watching a movie in a different room so they went and watched the show while I talked with Paula, Elena's mom. Then we made sure to be some of the first people out so we could catch our bus back home. It was a fun party and I'm really glad we went.
Below is the front of the Spaso House. Levin and I were able to go to a reception/orchestra concert here (for his work) not too many days later so we saw it decorated for Christmas again. It is a beautiful home!
THe reception was a little awkward for me since I don't speak Russian and Levin was speaking to most people in Russian, but it was fun to be out.
No comments:
Post a Comment